Retainer clients. Some love ‘em. Some hate ‘em. Great for consistent income. Not so great for feeling dependent on these clients (this breeds that employee mindset). But did you know they are really good for something else?
Your retainer clients can be used to jumpstart your business growth in the direction you really want to take it.
Yes, that’s the magical gift they provide.
There’s a lot of history and experience with your retainer clients and that experience can be mined for gold nuggets.
Use your experience with these clients to figure out:
- Which part of your offering you love to provide?
- Which part do your clients really appreciate?
- Where do you feel confident and excited vs. stressed and overwhelmed?
- What do you never want to do ever again?
- Where would you like more flexibility in your day?
- If you could wave a magic wand, what would be different about your client?
- And much more.
Once you have these answers, you’re on your way to designing the right offers to put out to the rest of your audience for huge growth and a far more predictable income stream without the dependence on retainers.
DO - provide stellar service, stay observant and curious, test out new frameworks and models for delivery of your genius, spend at least 20% of your time building out the rest of your business and diversifying your income stream
DON’T - tie all your revenue to one client, forget to tend to your business while you’re tending to someone else’s
Did anything surprising come up for you when you asked yourself these questions?